Tuesday, August 3, 2010

T-7 days

So it's officially one week until I leave. Boom. A week sounds like forever, but when I start thinking about all the stuff I have to do AND all the stuff I want to do, time is definitely running out. I have almost everything figured out except for still getting dental stuff done (RIP wisdom teeth) and packing. Packing is turning into a bigger issue than I had planned. I keep separating my clothes into ones that are practical to take, and ones that I want to take. The "want to" pile is steadily growing, while not much progress is being made practically. The part that really blows my mind is how I'm going to take roughly 8 pairs of shoes with me. I know I won't be wearing heels much in Guatemala probably, but I can't resist being prepared. The other, definitely more exciting, thing I get to do before I leave is celebrate my big sister's birthday. It will be a joyous fete with much merrymaking and revelry.

Anyway, I suppose I should preface this blog with why I'm actually indulging in arguably one of the most pretentious things to come out of the internet. First of all, I have recently started reading the blogs of current and returned volunteers from Guatemala, and I absolutely love it. It gets me pumped, it gives me insight into what challenges I will face, and they're usually full of beautiful pictures. I know it sounds creepy, and it might be weird to meet people whose lives I've already read about, but it doesn't deter me at all. Thanks, all you PC bloggers. Secondly, it just makes sense, in terms of the most efficient way to distribute information. Instead of writing everybody the same email, or remembering what stories I've told to what people, BOOM, it's in the blog. Lastly, I'm not usually much for self-reflection, but since I'm getting older I may as well try to grow up a little bit too, and I hear journaling is good for that. Anyhow, when writing this blog I'm going to try not to think or use the backspace button too much, and just write down my experiences and hopefully my perspective on some of it. Maybe I'll realize I kinda suck. Hopefully not, but at the very least I'll have a saved record of my time in the Peace Corps. Just a heads up to anyone reading that hasn't ever gotten a long email from me, I write like I think, and usually go off on a lot of tangents. Bear with me.

So that's all. Next time I post I'll have way more interesting things to write about.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Emily,
    I'm thinking about you today on your long flight to Guatemala. This is certainly gonna be an amazing journey for you. Can't wait to hear that you are settling in. Love ya, Aunt Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey baby, its good to see your blog, I hope your flight today goes smoothly, have been thinking about you non-stop. Goning today to get my goofy phone fixed or traded so we can text/talk when its possible. be safe. Love you
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope you are settling in ok....Love you
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola Emily,
    Soy la mama de Nic LaGatta. It's a small, small world. I was talking to two Tech people at the Piedmont Dog Park this afternoon, one was a June grad and the other a senior. The discussion rolled around to the job market and I said it was a great time to go in the Peace Corps which is what my son had done. Then another guy, an Emoroid who had been listing in says, "that's what my good friend did, she joined the Peace Corps". "Oh really, where is she deployed?". "Guatemala", "No way, how long has she been there?" "One month", "Holy cow, she has to know my son! What's her name?" "Emily Sanford" "Did she go to Emory?" "No she went to Tech.", "Of course, I recognize the name from seeing that Nic had friended a 'Tech co-ed', which is what we were called when I was a Tech stodent from 71-75 and 77-78.

    It's a small world, I love it. We just moved to Atlanta 2 months ago!

    I love reading your blog and keeping up with what you are doing. Maybe you can avergonzar mi hijo into starting a blog.

    Saludos y buena suerte,

    Adriana Gutierrez

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I forgot to tell you, it was your friend Paul from Calhoun.

    ReplyDelete